Importing cosmetics and baby care products
Importing cosmetics or personal care is a two-step process
Foreign Manufacture registration – this step is
required before any product can be imported.
Product Approval – this step permits the product
to be imported into Japan.
If you are a foreign company without Japanese subsidiary,
you are required to have an importer of record (IOR). The IOR can complete
steps 1 and 2 on behalf of the foreign manufacturer.
Be sure to choose an IOR that does not place restrictions on
your Japan sales channels. COVUE is perfect to pick as your IOR. We do not
restrict sales channels. Distributors may also act as your IOR however,
problems can occur if the distributor does not act as intended.
- Register with COVUE IOR
- Submit Product SKU & Product Ingredient List
- Check Product Ingredient List
- Sample Product Check
- Regulation Analysis Experiment
- Application of Foreign Factory & Shipper
- Prepare Product Application
- Submit Product Application
- (if necessary) Submit Supplement Applications (Solvents, salts, etc…)
- Document Work for Product Standards (Japanese)
- Prepare Japanese Label (regulated/certified)
- Prepare Shipping Documents
- Customs Clearance
- Receipt of Products in Licensed Warehouse
- Inspect 1 pc of each product SKU (Lab Testing)
- Product Document Control for MHLW
- Confirm Labeling & Packaging
- Delivery to Destination
Importing baby products and toys for children under the age
of six is regulated by Japan MHLW. Only the Japan IOR may import these
Steps for importing Baby products and Toys for Children Under 6 year of Age:
- Register COVUE as your IOR
- Submit product material and manufacture information to MHLW for pre-application approval
- Submit products to local MHLW lab for product testing.
- Create a certified product label for each product
- Start Japan Food Apparatus Import Application
- Receive approval for import
- Receive approval for import
It is important to check product eligibility. Not sure what category your product is? Check here https://www.covue.com/product-eligibility-check/
Ready to register IOR? Contact us!
Importing Non-regulated products
Selling on Amazon Japan? Japan is one of Amazon’s fastest growing markets. It has the third-largest economy and the most populous city, Tokyo. Japan has a high consumer spending market. This provides perfect opportunities for Amazon sellers to ...
Importing Shelf-Stable Food
If you are looking to import food into Japan, we will take care of that for you! A complete food import application for every shipment provided by the importer of record (IOR) is required by the Japan law. The food import application also requires ...
All products that hold or come into contact with food or liquid for human consumption require a food apparatus import application for every import. Steps for importing Food Apparatus: 1. Register COVUE as your IOR 2. Submit product material and ...
Importing Medical Devices
Importing medical devices into Japan only requires three steps of regulation. Japan PMDA approval is a requirement. 1. Medical Device Sales & Marketing License – only a Japanese company can obtain this license. 2. Foreign Medical Device ...
Importing Food Apparatus such as Food containers, Utensils, Cooking pans and others
Food apparatuses are products that come in contact with food or liquids that are intended for human consumption. Examples: - Food containers - Utensils / chopsticks - Cooking pans/pots - Food bags - Food wraps All ...